A Morning Visit to Dorset

A Morning Visit to Dorset

From Adam:  Primary Schools Cross Country

Many thanks to the wonderful friends who were able to help with the Yeovil primary schools cross country this week - 330 children from 28 schools finished the races over a challenging course. 

Next event 

Wednesday 21st February - Bucklers Mead Academy

Lytchett 10 Miler.          Results

From Steve: Race Report. Well the morning dawned a little bit damp and very dark as most alarms were probably set around six am if food and a quick cuppa were needed and then on to the age old question of how warm or cold was I likely to be and what layers would be required lol .After a little walk up our road the wonderfully punctual and enthusiastic Jo arrived to transport us to the race start in deepest Dorset but it was easily found and parking was easy as we arrived bang on 8 to beat the queues. Gradually 12 boys and girls arrived from YTRRC and we were all ready for the off . The weather was reasonable from the off and remained dry pretty well until the end luckily. Paul Gilbie raced of like a hare and was first YTRRC runner home followed by Bungy and then my good self while Linz who rallied after a tricky start and a major dislike of all the hills arrived first of the girls followed quickly by the duo of Ellie and Kelly .Note to all runners never believe the marshals when at every point in the race they tell you all the hills are finished and it is all downhill from now on. Well done to everyone from Ytrrc who ran the hard and hilly course today and many thanks to Tony Weaver and the Lytchett Manor Striders for the great organising and support around the course.

BustinSkins Halk and 10k

From Eleanor: Portland half marathon for me and 10k for Beata Zuchowska-Marsh. Long blog alert

Weather looked horrible all night and the early drive down. I was dreading what was coming. My fitness hasn’t been there recently but I put my big girl pants on and collected my number, had numerous nervous wees Beata was calm and nothing seems to phase her even at 6 and half months pregnant.

The marathon runners went off and I was so glad I settled on the half. Listening to the buzz in the hanger and chatting to other runners, watching the drone flying overhead. The race briefing came and kit checked now it was the count down no turning back now.

The first hill was never ending and one lady nearly pulled out but she had a great Marshal runner who encouraged her on, her words stayed in my head and I pushed on. Once we climbed the hill, the steep steep steps and the back door to the prison, we turned a corner it was a slight downhill section the views were amazing and I had never been to that part of the island before. Past the other prison and along the coast path. All going ok, just watching your footing thankfully the ground wasn’t too wet.

Then we headed down to Church Ope Cove, we went slightly wrong so retraced our steps and got back on track. More beautiful scenery but having to watch your footing as we were on the edge of the cliffs. A couple more wrong turns but longer this time thankfully I wasn’t alone. The marshal runner Trina, Bev, the lady who nearly quit and long legged Martin who I had to jog to keep up with his walking stride, were there to keep me company.

Martin and I pushed on and took lots of selfies of the lighthouse and the monument. Got to the half way check point feeling quite good.

Then we encountered the slippery mud that went on for ages. Barbed wire one side to grab onto when you slipped and the bracken the other side then the cliff edge. We slipped and trudged through all uphill and met the first marathon runners coming towards us. The Bovey boys in second and third place flying downhill. Bloody knees on other runners coming our way.

Around the churchyard and the quarry and took more pictures. Portland stone is so pretty. We found some marshals and they said turn left. Left I said looking at the steep drop down I hoped I’d stay on my feet. Some of the marathon runners were clambering up. I was so so glad I didn’t sign up for it.

Next was the long drag along Portland beach road with a strong head wind. That was so tough and I was so pleased Martin was still with me. We carried on and eventually got to the path that went under the road. We were on the home stretch now. Knowing I was going to make the cut off I was so pleased. Listening to Martin’s tales kept me going to the finish line where some of the first marathon runners cheered us in never been so happy to finish but I did it.

Weekend Running

From Helen: Nice Sunday 10 mile Club Run this morning - first few miles in fast drizzle then the sun appeared for the rest well done all and delicious crunchie brownies after (even if I do say so myself ).

From Graham: Sunday marathon training crew, the start was slightly damp, but improved during the run. Good solid mileage from everyone.

Valentines 10km

From Terry: So back oop North for the Amazing Lancaster Race Series , Valentines 10km. A very quiet week for me due to sore shins, but last minute decision to run.

Very pleased with 53.03 in mostly very good conditions (500m on grass with mud, otherwise tarmac). Went from the George and Dragon on Lancaster Quay, pub was open with free tea and coffee. It was a good turn out, it's good to wear the green and white away from home. And big surprise that first 5km was 25.35 . Look up The race series if you are up this way.

Park Runs

From Jo: So not only can I cross “D” from my Parkrun alphabet but I can now also say I have done the steapest Parkrun!! Durlston Country Park parkrun was challenging but simply beautiful & we couldn’t have picked a nicer day to do it. We had a great morning out & I would definitely go there again. It was their 100th birthday event & all the Marshalls were amazing. Even got a selfie at the end with the run director.


From Mark: On a wet evening I drove out to Mosterton. Only six turned up for running, and I ran with Russ. As there were only two of us, and because of the rain, I abandoned ideas of doing the usual Seaborough loop. Instead we ran the lane out towards Chedington. We started with Phil. Visibility was poor. I found it hard to see the sides of the road at times. A strong wind was blowing from the south, and it was raining constantly. We climbed as we approached the village, and turned round at the fork junction. The return run was just as wet. To make up some distance and time we continued south past the pub down to the Little Winsor road and turned round at the junction. Soaked and cold I got changed. The warm pub was welcoming, and the meal was great. It was pie night with pie and help yourself vegetables. Adam joined us. Thanks Phil for organising.

Released On 11th Feb 2024

We use cookies to help give you the best experience on our website. By continuing without changing your cookie settings, we assume you agree to this. Please read our cookie statement to find out more.